A complaint could be defined as an issue falling into one of these key areas:

  1. If we have failed to do something we should have done
  2. If we have performed a service badly or in the wrong way
  3. If we have treated a customer badly or unfairly

As a starting point you should talk to the manager of the service involved. If you don’t know who to contact, please call 01462 474000 and we will direct you to the appropriate service area.

If you have tried to sort out a problem but are still not happy, you may then decide to make a complaint. You can submit your complaint online:

Make a complaint

Alternatively you can make a complaint by telephone, or by filling out our Complaints Form in person at our offices or by downloading a copy below and sending it to us.

We aim to resolve complaints as quickly as possible but it may take up to 10 working days. If we are unable to provide a response within 10 working days we will contact you to explain when we expect to complete the investigation.

What if you are unhappy with our response?

You may seek the advice and support of your local Councillor. Alternatively, if you are still dissatisfied you can appeal to the Local Government Ombudsman. Please note the Local Government Ombudsman will only consider complaints that have initially followed NHDC’s complaints procedure.

Third Party Complaints

Complaints are generally only accepted by the complainant, however we do recognise that there may be occasions when a customer is unable to register a comment, compliment or complaint themselves, in which case it may be raised by a recognised caseworker or relative nominated by the customer. Examples may include if they are physically unable due to illness or a disability. The Council is committed to providing equality of access to this procedure and in such circumstances issues will be progressed by the Council.

Local Government Ombudsman

The Local Government Ombudsman is a free service which looks at complaints about councils, investigating complaints of injustice arising from maladministration by Local Government and selected other bodies.

The Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771
Phone: 0300 061 0614


If a disability prevents you from making your complaint in writing, please contact the Monitoring Officer for assistance.